BLAZE DESTROYS BARN AND CARTS AT TWU GOLF COURSE
Fire destroyed the golf cart barn at the Texas Woman's University golf course early Monday and all its contents.
Denton Fire Marshal Rick Jones said flames were coming through the roof on the north end of the building on the southeast side of the campus when firefighters arrived, and they were not able to enter to fight the fire from inside. They concentrated on pouring water on the outside of the building, but the roof collapsed soon after they arrived, he said.
"Everything inside is a total loss," Jones said. "There was no indication that this was a set fire. The doors were secure."
He estimated loss to the building and its contents at between $200,000 and $250,000. University officials said the golf course remains closed and is expected to reopen Wednesday for golfers who either walk or bring their own cart. The university also is considering leasing some golf carts until it can buy replacements.
Jones said that a fire started on April 3 in the building while employees were charging a golf cart. They were able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, he said. Monday's fire started in the same area, he said.
"There were flammable liquids in there and fertilizer — there was plenty of fuel. Once the fire got going, there was no stopping it."
Others who have viewed this page also viewed these pages: